Conduct disorder is a mental illness that typically begins in childhood or adolescence and is characterized by repetitive and persistent behavior that violates the rights of others and societal norms. Individuals with conduct disorder often engage in aggressive or destructive behavior and may have difficulty controlling their impulses.
Symptoms of Conduct Disorder
Symptoms can include:
- Bullying, threatening, or intimidating others,
- Physical aggression towards people or animals,
- Property damage or destruction,
- Lying or theft,
- Truancy or running away from home,
- Substance abuse,
- Sexual behavior that is inappropriate for the individual’s age,
- Violation of rules and laws.
The negative effects of conduct disorder can be significant, and can include:
- Difficulty in school or work due to impulsive and disruptive behavior,
- Strained relationships with family and friends due to aggressive or destructive behavior,
- Increased risk of developing other mental health conditions, such as depression and anxiety,
- Legal problems due to violation of rules and laws,
- Decreased quality of life due to the negative impact of behavior on others.
Treating of Conduct Disorder
Treatment for this disorder may involve a combination of therapy and medication. Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) can help individuals identify and modify negative thought patterns and behaviors related to the disorder. Other types of therapy, such as family therapy, may also be helpful in addressing the social and environmental factors.
In some cases, medication may be prescribed to help manage symptoms of impulsivity and aggression.
Overall, conduct disorder can be a challenging condition to manage, but with the right treatment and support, individuals can learn to regulate their behavior and engage in more healthy and fulfilling relationships. If you or someone you know is experiencing symptoms of this disorder, it’s important to seek professional help as soon as possible.
Dr Carla is a licensed and trained therapist. Don’t hesitate to call and book your appointment.